That’s right, I’m pregnant! We’re expecting our first baby this summer!
It’s so cheesy but I feel like I’ve been keeping this pregnancy such a HUGE secret and it’s impossible to describe how good it feels to write those words!
One of the oddest parts of finding out we are pregnant was that we really didn’t know much about what to expect or what to do in those early weeks. It might be funny coming from someone who writes a blog, but I’m a pretty private person when it comes to health and other deeply personal things. I knew I wouldn’t tell many people for months.
From a blog standpoint, I’ve also felt a little stuck. I couldn’t share so much of what was on my mind and then didn’t know what else to write about that wouldn’t feel forced. So today, I thought a biiiig catch-up post is in order.
Weeks 8 – 10
- Feeling: Exhausted! I’ve never really been a napper but that all changed during the early days. I could nap for 20 minutes after work and still go to bed at 8pm. Luckily, I didn’t get hit with nausea or many food aversions. Also, oddly itchy all over. Worse than your standard winter dry skin and so I was constantly dousing myself in lotion.
- Thinking: Mostly forgetting all about being pregnant! I couldn’t talk about it, so I hardly thought about it either. It was a very weird time mentally, to be honest.
- Doing: Totally pretending to sip wine at holiday parties.
Doctor’s Appointment: Our first appointment was around 7-8 weeks and we got to hear the (crazy fast, but totally normal) heartbeat. I also had blood work for myriad genetic screenings.
Weeks 11 – 12
- Feeling: A little better. I think the holidays helped me power through and I didn’t feel quite as tired. I even made it to midnight on New Year’s Eve!
- Thinking: That I couldn’t wait for my next doctor’s appointment. By now, I had racked up so many questions that I didn’t even think to ask at 8 weeks, that I was really itching to get more face time.
- Doing: Planning our announcement to our families, which we did over Christmas. I’ll share more about this in another post soon!
Doctor’s Appointments: One for additional blood work and one for an ultrasound, where we got the photos you see above. The tech was great and showed us things like the baby’s stomach and bladder!
- Feeling: Although I’d mostly rebounded from my earlier sleepiness, I had a wave of real, deep in my bones tiredness. After work, I felt off-balance, weak and just bone-weary. And no food sounded good. Thank goodness it mostly passed after a few days.
- Thinking: About changing doctors. I had a few blah experiences at my doctor’s office during my early appointments and didn’t feel 100% comfortable. I always liked my OBGYN, but having a baby with the group practice didn’t feel right for me. This caused a lot of stress because the idea of switching mid-pregnancy, adding more appointments to my schedule, etc. was daunting. I will start going to a new practice at 20-weeks and am happy to share more about this experience if you’re interested.
- Doing: Starting to tell extended family and friends every chance we got!
Doctor’s Appointments: 1st Trimester screen, which recapped all of my and T-man’s blood work, checked typical vitals, and reviewed the ultrasound. Everything pointed to a very low-risk and healthy pregnancy so far.
Side note: My first round of blood work showed I am a carrier of a rare disease so T-man was also tested (luckily it did not show up on his!). So not all dads-to-be get blood work during this time, in case you are curious.
- Feeling: My heartburn kicked it up a notch this week and there was even one night when I slept half sitting up to try to calm my stomach. As I’m learning, with most things in pregnancy, it changes day-to-day and I’m happy it hasn’t been that bad since.
- Thinking: About all the projects we want to finish before baby comes. On the one hand, I am wishing for spring and on the other, realizing there are SO many things and the weeks will really fly by.
- Reading Nuture, a book I saw on Taylor’s feed and I’m already loving
- Filling out the book my MIL bought for us — basically a guided diary and reflection on pregnancy.
- Booking our baby moon — I can’t wait for warmer weather in a city that’s been on our bucket list for years. I’ll share more soon!
- Feeling: Pretty good overall. I started going to pre-natal yoga once a week and doing a few of the maternity classes on Aaptive. Trying to get into a good habit of exercising before I get too big!
- Thinking: Of reorganizing my closet so I don’t stare longingly at all the things that won’t fit pretty soon. Getting dressed is becoming more challenging, but I’ve found some great maternity and non-maternity pieces that I hope will hold me over.
- Doing: Finally told my team at work! Although I work at a supportive company, it’s still daunting to tell your boss and not know for sure how it will all pan out. I’m happy to have that behind me.
Doctor’s Appointments: 2nd Trimester screen, which checked typical vitals, the babies heartbeat and did more blood work. Everything still looks good!
So Where Are We Now?
Phew! So that brings us to now — week 18. If you made it this far, kudos! I can’t believe we’re almost halfway, but I have a feeling the second half will be a LOT different. At this point, we’re focused on the upstairs renovation and miscellaneous home projects. (so I can start nesting). Plus, we’re eagerly anticipating the next doctor’s appointment with our new OB and the ultrasound that will tell us the baby’s gender!